Leland Parks and Rec. July 2012 Update
7/3/2012 9:57:51 PM
Leland Parks and Recreation July 2012 Update
We hope everyone has a safe and happy Independence Day! Take a moment this year to thank a veteran for helping keeping the USA the land of the free and the home of the brave! If you are interested in participating in any event or program or simply would like more information, please contact Niel Brooks, Manager of Parks, Recreation and Environmental Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 910-332-4818. Feel free to forward this message on to your friends and neighbors!
Concerts on the Coast Continues
Our concert series got off to a great start with the Imitations last month. This month we continue the music every other Thursday evening. Next up is the Coco Loco Party Band. Click here to see their site.
Movies in the Park Finale
We wind down our popular movie series this month with a showing of the Adventures of TinTin on July 7. Don’t miss this last movie of the season.
Town Offering Free CPR Classes
This month we are offering CPR Classes in coordination with Leland Fire and Rescue. See below for information on these classes.
Couponing Class now on Weekends!
Recognizing the needs of hardworking moms (and dads), we are now offering the couponing class on a Friday and Saturday this month. See below for details.
Mark your Calendar
Cleanup Your Act
Leland Stormwater Services is teaming with Cape Fear River Watch to clean up an area of town that routinely gets covered in trash. Join us on Saturday, July 14 at 8 a.m. at 101 Thomas Garst Lane (next to Taco Bell) to help the environment by cleaning up this area that backs up to wetlands that drain to the Brunswick River.
Events Calendar on the Web
We have a new events calendar on the Town’s Web site so you can keep track of the many activities we have going on with Leland Parks and Rec. Please visit http://www.townofleland.com/Towncalendar
regularly to keep up to date.
Like us on Facebook
New Programs and Upcoming Events:
How to Cut your Grocery Bill by 50% or More!
* What: Does buying groceries for your family become a financial burden each month? Would you just like to save some money? If so, come learn how to cut your grocery bill by 50% or more! In this fun and exciting workshop, you will learn the basics of couponing, where to find coupons, rules of saving in the grocery store, coupon organization, grocery store policies, stockpiling, budgeting and the use of online databases to assist with couponing. Each participant will receive a coupon guidebook and $30 worth of coupons to get started.
* Where: Leland Classroom Annex (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Friday, July 13, 6-8 p.m.; Saturday July 28, 1-3 p.m.
* Fee: $12. Contact Leland Parks and Rec. to register at 910-332-4823. Class space is limited, so call now to reserve your spot at your preferred date.
* What: Rev up your metabolism with a challenging full body workout combining cardio bursts, athletic drills and strength training exercises. This class will utilize the outdoor park when weather permits. Modifications will be offered for all fitness levels. Please bring water, an exercise mat and a towel.
* Where: Leland Municipal Park (102 Town Hall Drive)
* When: Each Monday and Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
* Fee: $40 for the month or $8 for a drop-in class. Call 910-332-4823 to register.
Fit Over 50
* What: We combine fun and fitness in this class by increasing your cardiovascular level with low impact aerobic choreography and build muscular endurance with resistance training. This class will utilize light hand weights, resistance bands and exercise balls. It is designed for all fitness levels and is especially beneficial for those over 50. Be sure to bring water, an exercise mat and a towel.
* Where: Municipal Park/ Leland Classroom Annex (102 Town Hall Drive)
* When: Each Tuesday and Thursday at 8:00 a.m.
* Fee: $40 for the month or $8 for a drop-in class. Call 910-332-4823 to register
* What: The Town of Leland is partnering with Leland Fire and Rescue to offer CPR classes.
* When and Where:
o Leland Fire Department (1004 Village Rd.) – Second Monday of each month at 6 p.m. beginning July 9
o Leland Classroom Annex (102 Town Hall Dr.) – Third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. beginning July 19
* Fee: FREE! Manual can be purchased in advance of class. Space is limited. Call 910-332-4823 for more information.
Movies in the Park
* What: This year’s family movie series promises to be a summertime hit. Come watch a film under the stars in the Leland Municipal Park, just like in the good old days of drive in movies. Bring your blanket and lawn chairs. No pets please.
o July 7 – The Adventures of TinTin
* Where: Leland Municipal Complex Park (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: See above. Every other Saturday.
* Fee: FREE! Concessions will be available for purchase.
Concerts on the Coast
* What: Back for its fourth year, this free outdoor concert series promises brings some of the Southeast’s best beach and party bands playing our own backyard! Bring your lawn chairs, picnic baskets and dancin’ shoes. Just as a friendly reminder, alcohol is not permitted on Town property. This series is brought to you with help from Brunswick County Parks and Rec.
o June 28 – The Imitations (Wilmington’s Favorite Party Band)
o July 12 – Coco Loco (Myrtle Beach Party Band)
o July 26 – The Main Event Band (2011 Series Favorite Returns)
o August 9 – Sea Cruz (Award-winning Beach Band)
* Where: Leland Municipal Complex Park (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: See above. Concerts from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
* Fee: FREE!
Other Community Programs and Events:
Friends of the Library Book Sale
* What: The Leland Friends of the Library has a wide variety of books to choose from at their monthly sale.
* Where: Magnolia House Lawn (485 Village Rd. at the front of the Leland Municipal Campus)
* When: Every second Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* Contact: For more information call Book Sale Manager Ellie Edwards at 910-383-3098.
You have received this message because you have indicated at some time that you are interested in Leland Parks and Recreation activities, programs and events. If you do not wish to receive future e-mails from Leland Parks and Recreation, please e-mail email@example.com to have your address removed from the list. Thank you for your interest in making Leland a better place to live and play!
Back to Newsletters