Leland Parks and Rec. October 2012 Update
10/2/2012 8:15:36 PM
Leland Parks and Recreation October 2012 Update
Fall is here! Time to get outside and enjoy the cool autumn air. If you are interested in participating in any event or program or simply would like more information, please contact Niel Brooks, Manager of Parks, Recreation and Environmental Programs at email@example.com or 910-332-4818. Feel free to forward this message on to your friends and neighbors!
Trunk or Treat October 27
Our very popular Trunk or Treat event returns for its fourth year. Last year we had more than 1,000 children and their parents come out to enjoy a safe, fun night of trunk or treating! See below for details and make plans to join us.
Westgate Nature Park Under Construction
Did you know that we are currently constructing a new park in Leland? Westgate Nature Park, located at 1260 West Gate Drive (between Walmart and the Arbors in the Westgate area), should be completed this fall. The park will consist of a 0.3 mile paved walking/biking path, elevated boardwalk and outdoor classroom over the woody wetlands environment, nature-themed playground, picnic area and event lawn. It is the first phase of a larger plan to provide nearly 5 miles of multi-use trails on the south side of Highway 17. Stay tuned for updates as construction progresses.
Town offers CPR Certification Class
The Town of Leland is partnering with Leland Fire and Rescue to offer a CPR Certification class November 7. Come learn how to save a life. See below for details.
Leland Offering New Fitness Class/Group for the Fall
This month we introduce several new opportunities for you to get fit through our Extreme Cross Training class and Arthritis Exercise Group. See below for more information on these exciting offerings.
Hooks and Needles Adds Evening Meetings
The popular Hooks and Needles group that meets on Fridays now meets at night as well. See below for details.
Events Calendar on the Web
We have an events calendar on the Town's Web site so you can keep track of the many activities we have going on with Leland Parks and Rec. Please visit http://www.townofleland.com/Towncalendar
regularly to keep up to date.
Like us on Facebook
Upcoming Programs and Events:
October 27 – Trunk or Treat
* What: Want to take your kids trick or treating in a safe, fun environment? Then Leland’s Trunk or Treat event is for you. We are asking businesses and community organizations to decorate their trunks and pass out goodies. There will be prizes for the most impressive displays. Visit our Web site for more information on how to enter your trunk.
* Where: Northwest District Park (1937 Andrew Jackson Highway)
* When: Saturday, October 27, 2012; 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. (Set-up is from 3 p.m. until 4 p.m.)
* Fee: FREE!
CPR Certification Class
* What: Leland Parks and Recreation have partnered with Leland Fire and Rescue to provide the public with CPR Certification Classes. This class will cover CPR training along with first aid.
* Where: Leland Fire and Rescue, 1004 Village Rd.
* When: Wednesday, November 7, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
* Fee: $20. This includes the course book and certification card. To register call 910-332-4823. Class space is limited; call now to reserve your spot.
Extreme Cross Training
* What: Rev up your metabolism with a challenging full body workout combining cardio bursts, athletic drills and strength training exercises. Designed for exercisers who already have a core strength in place and are ready to take their fitness to the next level. Please bring water, an exercise mat and a towel.
* Where: Leland Recreation Building, 102 Town Hall Dr.
* When: Mondays and Wednesdays, 7:30 p.m. Continues through November 28. Pre-registration is required.
* Fee: Rate is $95 for 8-week program (Less than $6 per class!). Contact Amy Ryan at (910) 332-4823 to register or for more information.
Arthritis Exercise Group
* What: Volunteer teacher Edna Roy leads the group through a series of chair-aided group exercises designed to help the joints and muscles of people struggling with arthritis or other joint and muscle issues. This low-impact group is great for seniors.
* Where: Leland Classroom Annex (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1:45 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. Starting October 1. Pre-registration required.
* Fee: FREE! Call 910-332-4823 to register or for more information.
Hooks and Needles PM
* What: The Hooks and Needles group is going after dark. Can’t make it to the Friday Hooks and Needles group? Then this is the group for you. All levels are invited to attend from beginner to advanced. Just bring your current project or materials to start a new one.
* Where: Leland Classroom Annex (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Third Thursdays of the month from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
* Fee: FREE! Contact Darla Rhind at 910-371-5563.
Other Community Events:
Lions Club Golf Ball Drop
The North Brunswick Lions Club will drop 1,000 golf balls from a helicopter on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 2:30 pm at 109 Division Drive in Leland. If your ball lands within the circle and is the winner, you win $20,000!!! Golf balls are available for $15 each, three for $30 or seven for $50. Speak with a Lions Club member or visit the Golf Ball Drop website (click here) to get your entry.
You don’t want to miss this chance!
Dash at Dusk for a Good Cause
Waves4 K.I.D.S., a local nonprofit that provides financial support and services that meet the needs of children associated with Foster Care and Child Protective Services in Brunswick County, is holding a one-mile fun run/walk on Tuesday, October 23 at 6 p.m. at 4Ever24Fit at 477 Olde Waterford Way Suite 115. Come out and help light up the Waterford Shopping Center. Visit http://www.waves4kids.org/ to register.
Register to Vote
Riegelwood Federal Credit Union (2065 Andrew Jackson Highway) will host an open house voter registration on Wednesday, Oct. 10 from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. for Brunswick County residents. You may also make changes to your address or party affiliation during the event.
You have received this message because you have indicated at some time that you are interested in Leland Parks and Recreation activities, programs and events. If you do not wish to receive future e-mails from Leland Parks and Recreation, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to have your address removed from the list. Thank you for your interest in making Leland a better place to live and play!
Back to Newsletters