Leland Parks and Rec. March 2013 Newsletter
3/3/2013 2:49:07 PM
Leland Parks and Recreation March Update
Things really get hopping in March with several major events including Bark in the Park, Sea Leland, Leland We Don’t Know and the Egg Hunt. We hope you will be able to join us this month. If you are interested in participating in any event or program or simply would like more information, please contact Amy Ryan, Recreation Specialist at email@example.com or 910-332-4823. Feel free to forward this message on to your friends and neighbors!
Who Let the Dogs Out?
Make plans to attend our annual Bark in the Park on March 9. The event will feature a rabies clinic, contests, demonstrations and more. For more information, see below.
By Land or by Sea
Want to learn more about your community? LWDK and Sea Leland give you that opportunity by land and by water! These events will sell out so call early. See details below.
Hop on Over
Our annual egg hunt returns on March 30. Please note that due to construction at Town Hall, the event will be held at Brunswick River Park across from Belville Elementary School. See below for times and ages.
Our Wild Bird Walks resume this month on Thursday, March 14 at 8 a.m. with the experts from Wild Bird and Garden. Go on this casual walk and then impress your friends with your avian knowledge. See details below.
Sign up now for our new fitness classes, including one held on Saturday mornings. See below for more details.
Sew it Goes...
Did you know Leland has a knitting/crochet/sewing group that meets several times each month to share knowledge and learn new techniques? See below for more information on this great program.
Like us on Facebook
Upcoming Programs and Events:
A Bark in the Park
* What: A Bark in the Park is an event centered on people and their dogs! This event will include a free rabies clinic presented by Capeside Animal Hospital and Furever Friends Animal Rescue, contests (cutest dog and best trick) and prizes, demonstrations and more from other pet businesses in Leland and surrounding areas. Come out and enjoy a day in the park with your best friend!
* Where: Brunswick River Park (580 River Rd. across from Belville Elementary)
* When: Saturday, March 9; 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
* Fee: FREE!
Wild Bird Walks
* What: Join the experts from Wild Bird and Garden on a guided bird watching walk in one of the area’s best natural environments. This is a great opportunity to get out in nature and learn about the different species of birds in our area. All you need to bring is a water bottle, binoculars and bug spray!
* Where: Brunswick Nature Park (2601 River Road Southeast). Meet at the picnic shelter inside the Nature Park.
* When: Thursday, March 14; 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
* Fee: FREE! For more information or to register, contact Amy Ryan with Leland Parks and Recreation at (910) 332-4823 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* What: This year we will again take to the water to explore Leland and northern Brunswick County by boat. We will shove off on the 46-foot Wilmington from the Wilmington Waterfront and enjoy a light lunch as we learn about area waterways from naturalist Doug Springer, former Cape Fear River Keeper. The tour will last approximately two hours and will feature Eagles Island, the Brunswick River, area creeks and discussion of the area Rice Culture, Liberty Ships and other historical points. This will be a unique experience for both new and long-time residents alike.
Meet at 212 S. Water St. (Wilmington) along the Cape Fear Riverwalk between Orange Street and Ann Street. CLICK HERE FOR MAP
* When: March 23. Arrive at the docks by 11:45 a.m. to load the boat. Tour begins promptly at noon.
* Fee: Enjoy a two-hour tour and catered lunch for only $10 per person. Please call 910-338-3134 to make your reservations. Must be a Leland resident. Space is extremely limited this year and will sell out.
Leland We Don’t Know
* What: Our award-winning Leland We Don't Know program is back for 2013. This two-hour bus tour takes residents through parts of Leland they may have never seen including sites from the town's early days and some of the area's newest neighborhoods. The tour highlights Leland's history and the Town's exciting plans for the future. Don't miss this opportunity to join with your neighbors - newcomers and longtime residents alike - to see all the Town of Leland has to offer.
* Where: Leland Recreation Building (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: March 23. Arrive by 9:45 a.m. Tour begins promptly at 10 a.m.
* Fee: Free!!! Call 910-332-4823 to register. Space is limited. No more than 4 tickets per reservation
* What: This holiday event features egg hunts for children divided into four age groups (ages 0-2, ages 3-5, ages 6-7 and ages 8-10), refreshments, prizes and more. Bring your basket and make prepare for a special visit from Mr. E.B. himself.
* Where: Brunswick River Park (580 River Rd.)
* When: March 30, 9:45 a.m. (Egg hunt starts promptly at 10 a.m.)
* Fee: FREE! For children 10 and younger.
CPR Certification Class
* What: Leland Parks and Recreation is partnering with Leland Fire and Rescue to provide the public with CPR Certification Classes. This class will cover CPR training along with first aid.
* Where: Leland Fire and Rescue, 1004 Village Rd.
* When: March 6, from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
* Fee: $20. This includes the course book and certification card. To register call 910-332-4823. Class space is limited; call now to reserve your spot.
* What: Rev up your metabolism with a challenging full-body workout combining cardio bursts, athletic drills and strength training exercises using hand weights. All fitness levels are welcome no matter if you already have a core strength in place and are ready to take your fitness to the next level, or if you are a beginner who needs modifications. Please bring water, an exercise mat and a towel.
* Where: Leland Recreation Building (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Every Monday and Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. *NEW CLASSES BEGIN MARCH 11*
* Fee: $95 for 8-week program (Less than $6 per class!). Pre-registration is required. Call 910-332-4823 to register or for more information.
* What: This boot-camp style workout promises to give you a challenging full-body workout combining cardio bursts, athletic drills and strength training exercises using hand weights. All fitness levels are welcome no matter if you already have a core strength in place and are ready to take your fitness to the next level, or if you are a beginner who needs modifications. Please bring water, an exercise mat and a towel.
* Where: Leland Municipal Park and Recreation Building (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Each Saturday at 9:30 a.m. *CLASSES BEGIN MARCH 2*
* Fee: $8 per class or you can purchase a Bootcamp Card of 10 classes for $70! Call 910-332-4823 to register or for more information.
* What: Do you love to knit, crochet or stitch? Are you looking for a place to get together with others to share your craft? Have you always been interested in the needle arts, but wondered how to get started? Then the Common Threads is for you. All levels are invited to attend from beginner to advanced. Just bring your current project or materials to start a new one.
* Where: Leland Classroom Annex (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: The second and fourth Friday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon for instruction and practice. The third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. for workgroup and practice.
* Fee: FREE! Call 910-332-4823 for more information.
You have received this message because you have indicated at some time that you are interested in Leland Parks and Recreation activities, programs and events. If you do not wish to receive future e-mails from Leland Parks and Recreation, please e-mail email@example.com to have your address removed from the list. Thank you for your interest in making Leland a better place to live and play!
Back to Newsletters