Leland Parks and Rec. May 2013 Newsletter
5/1/2013 8:50:52 PM
Leland Parks and Recreation May 2013 Update
May is finally here and full of beautiful blooms and possibilities. Come out and enjoy our programs – most of which are rain or shine. If you are interested in participating in any event or program or simply would like more information, please contact Amy Ryan, Recreation Specialist at email@example.com or 910-332-4823. Feel free to forward this message on to your friends and neighbors!
It’s COASTLINE Time!!!
Our free Concerts on the Coast series kicks off this month on with none other than Jim Quick and Coastline! See below for more details.
Walk on the Wild Side
Our Wild Bird Walks continue this month on Thursday, May 9 at 8 a.m. at the Leland Municipal Park with the experts from Wild Bird and Garden
. Go on this casual walk and then impress your friends with your avian knowledge. See details below.
Movies Under the Stars
This year’s Movies in the Park series continues this month with two highly anticipated movies. See below for more information.
We are now taking reservations for No Sleeves Magic camp, which will be held here in Leland this year at the Leland Municipal Park June 17-21. If you have or know of a child who is looking for an awesome and unique camp experience, visit No Sleeves Magic to learn more and register. http://www.nosleevesmagic.com/
Get Ready for Beach Season
Our Body Sculpting program is starting a new 8 week session on May 6 which meets every Monday and Wednesday at 6:30pm at Leland Municipal Park. Come complete those final goals or start new ones with our fitness instructor Alan Murphy.
Help Plan Leland’s Biggest Event
The Town is currently planning for this year’s Founders’ Day, which will be held September 14 at the commercial area of Brunswick Forest. Last year’s event drew several thousand people and ended with a fireworks display. If you are interested in helping plan this year’s event please call Amy Ryan at 332-4823 for more information.
Like us on Facebook
Upcoming Programs and Events:
Concerts on the Coast
* What: Back for another year, this free outdoor concert series will rock the park with some of the Southeast’s best beach and party bands playing in our backyard! Bring your lawn chairs, picnic baskets and dancin’ shoes. Concessions will be available. Just as a friendly reminder, alcohol is not permitted on Town property.
* Where: Leland Municipal Park (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Every other Thursday beginning May 30. Concerts start at 6:30 pm.
o May 30: Jim Quick and Coastline
o June 13: CoCo LoCo Party Band
o June 27: Gold Rush
o July 11: The Imitations
* Fee: FREE!
Movies in the Park
* What: This year’s family movie series promises to be better than ever. Come watch a film under the stars in the Leland Municipal Park, just like in the good old days of drive in movies. Bring your blanket and lawn chairs. No pets please.
* Where: Leland Municipal Complex Park (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Every other Saturday. Movies start at sunset.
o May 4: Rise of the Guardians
o May 18: Brave
o June 1: The Lorax
o June 15: Soul Surfer
o June 29: Madagascar 3
* Fee: FREE! Concessions will be available for purchase.
Wild Bird Walks
* What: Join the experts from Wild Bird and Garden on a guided bird watching walk in one of the area’s best natural environments. This is a great opportunity to get out in nature and learn about the different species of birds in our area. All you need to bring is a water bottle, binoculars and bug spray!
* Where: Leland Municipal Park (102 Town Hall Dr.). Meet in the parking lot.
* When: Thursday, May 9; 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
* Fee: FREE! For more information or to register, contact Amy Ryan with Leland Parks and Recreation at (910) 332-4823 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Healthy Living Leland
* What: Our own health can easily escape our attention during the busy times in our lives. Being healthy, active and taking care of ourselves can help us enjoy a higher quality of life. Join us each month as we learn how to make nutritious and delicious meals and get active. Each month will have a different health-related topic and tons of great information, food and prizes.
* Where: Leland Classroom Annex (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: The second Tuesday of each month 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (May 14 – Safety in the Sun)
* Fee: FREE! To register call 910-332-4823 or e-mail email@example.com. Space is limited; call now to reserve your spot.
CPR Certification Class
* What: Leland Parks and Recreation is partnering with Leland Fire and Rescue to provide the public with CPR Certification Classes. This class will cover CPR training along with first aid.
* Where: Leland Fire and Rescue, 1004 Village Rd.
* When: June 12, from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
* Fee: $20. This includes the course book (Book must be pre-ordered.) and certification card. To register call 910-332-4823. Class space is limited; call now to reserve your spot.
Other Community Programs:
May 3 – Art Show at Sweet Nectar’s
Stop by Sweet Nectar’s Florist (473 Olde Waterford Way Suite 115) on May 3 from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. for a free reception displaying the works of local artist Cathy Johnson. Ms. Johnson specializes in paintings and sculptures in wood and bronze. Light refreshments and wine will be served.
May 4 - LakeFest 2013
Join Cape Fear River Watch for LakeFest 2013 at Greenfield Lake (near the boathouse). Enjoy Face Painting, Casting Clinics, Fish identification, Greenfield Lake History Presentations, Enviroscape Presentations, Boat Displays, Educational Displays, Games, Live Animals (alligators, snakes and turtles) Water Quality Testing Presentations, and much more! There will also be a Kayak Race with prizes for each category. For more information visit http://www.capefearriverwatch.org
You have received this message because you have indicated at some time that you are interested in Leland Parks and Recreation activities, programs and events. If you do not wish to receive future e-mails from Leland Parks and Recreation, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to have your address removed from the list. Thank you for your interest in making Leland a better place to live and play!
Back to Newsletters