Leland Parks and Rec. June 2013 Newletter
6/6/2013 5:08:49 PM
Leland Parks and Recreation June 2013 Update
School is out, summer is coming, and the days are heating up! That can only mean that June is finally here! Come out and enjoy our programs and special events – most of which are rain or shine. If you are interested in participating in any event or program or simply would like more information, please contact Amy Ryan, Recreation Specialist at email@example.com or 910-332-4823. Feel free to forward this message on to your friends and neighbors!
Register Now for Waterfest
The weekend of September 20-22, an exciting new event is coming to the Leland area. The Brunswick Waterfest will feature a kayak fishing tournament, standup paddleboard races, kayak tours, birding activities, educational sessions and more. Visit http://brunswickwaterfest.eventbrite.com/
for more information on this awesome event.
Great Fun Continues in the Park
This month our Concerts on the Coast series continues with two incredible bands, while the Movies in the Park series wraps up with three highly-anticipated movies. See below for more information.
Walk on the Wild Side
Our Wild Bird Walks continue this month on Thursday, June 13 at 8 a.m. at Brunswick Nature Park with the experts from Wild Bird and Garden
. Go on this casual walk and then impress your friends with your avian knowledge. See details below.
Garden Club on Summer Break
The Garden Club is going on its annual summer hiatus. Check back in the fall for new activities.
Like us on Facebook
Upcoming Programs and Events:
Concerts on the Coast
* What: Back for another year, this free outdoor concert series will rock the park with some of the Southeast’s best beach and party bands playing in our backyard! Bring your lawn chairs, picnic baskets and dancin’ shoes. Just as a friendly reminder, alcohol is not permitted on Town property.
* Where: Leland Municipal Park (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Every other Thursday. Concerts start at 6:30pm.
o June 13: CoCo LoCo Party Band
o June 27: Gold Rush
o July 11: The Imitations
* Fee: FREE!
Movies in the Park
* What: This year’s family movie series promises to be better than ever. Come watch a film under the stars in the Leland Municipal Park, just like in the good old days of drive in movies. Bring your blanket and lawn chairs. No pets please.
* Where: Leland Municipal Complex Park (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Every other Saturday. Movies start at sunset.
o June 15: Soul Surfer
o June 29: Madagascar 3
* Fee: FREE! Concessions will be available for purchase.
Wild Bird Walks
* What: Join the experts from Wild Bird and Garden on a guided bird watching walk in one of the area’s best natural environments. This is a great opportunity to get out in nature and learn about the different species of birds in our area. All you need to bring is a water bottle, binoculars and bug spray!
* Where: Brunswick Nature Park (2601 River Road Southeast). Meet at the picnic shelter inside the Nature Park.
* When: Thursday, June 13; 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
* Fee: FREE! For more information or to register, contact Amy Ryan with Leland Parks and Recreation at (910) 332-4823 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Healthy Living Leland
* What: Our own health can easily escape our attention during the busy times in our lives. Being healthy, active and taking care of ourselves can help us enjoy a higher quality of life. Join us each month as we learn how to make nutritious and delicious meals and get active. Each month will have a different health-related topic and tons of great information, food and prizes.
* Where: Leland Classroom Annex (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: The second Tuesday of each month 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (June 11 – Safety in the Sun)
* Fee: FREE! To register call 910-332-4823 or e-mail email@example.com. Space is limited; call now to reserve your spot.
CPR Certification Class
* What: Leland Parks and Recreation is partnering with Leland Fire and Rescue to provide the public with CPR Certification Classes. This class will cover CPR training along with first aid.
* Where: Leland Fire and Rescue, 1004 Village Rd.
* When: June 12, from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. – CLASS FULL. NEW DATES ADDED SOON.
* Fee: $20. This includes the course book (Book must be pre-ordered.) and certification card. To register call 910-332-4823. Class space is limited; call now to reserve your spot.
Other Community Programs:
Big River Cleanup
– Join the folks from Cape Fear River Watch on Saturday, June 22 as they clean up the small islands of the lower Cape Fear River. Meet at River Road Park (in New Hanover County) at 8 a.m. with your kayaks. For more information visit http://www.capefearriverwatch.org/archives/2612.
You have received this message because you have indicated at some time that you are interested in Leland Parks and Recreation activities, programs and events. If you do not wish to receive future e-mails from Leland Parks and Recreation, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to have your address removed from the list. Thank you for your interest in making Leland a better place to live and play!
Back to Newsletters