Leland Parks and Rec. July 2013 Newsletter
7/2/2013 9:23:47 PM
Leland Parks and Recreation July Update
Happy Parks and Recreation Month!!! We hope you and your family have a great Independence Day. Come out and enjoy our programs and special events – most of which are rain or shine. If you are interested in participating in any event or program or simply would like more information, please contact Amy Ryan, Recreation Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org or 910-332-4823. Feel free to forward this message on to your friends and neighbors!
Rain, Rain, Go Away!
Due to the weather, the last move of the series, Madagascar 3, has been rescheduled for July 13. Hopefully the weather will hold out.
As of July 1 all Leland Town Property is smoke-free – including the parks and playgrounds. We ask for your cooperation in helping us all breathe a little easier.
Register Now for Waterfest
The weekend of September 20-22, an exciting new event is coming to the Leland area. The Brunswick Waterfest will feature a kayak fishing tournament, standup paddleboard races, kayak tours, birding activities, educational sessions and more. Visit http://brunswickwaterfest.eventbrite.com/ for more information on this awesome event.
Going out with a Bang!
This month our Concerts on the Coast series will wrap up with everyone’s favorite entertainers - The Imitations! See below for more information.
It’s Not too Late to Get Summer Fit
A new 8-week body sculpting program starts this month! See below for details.
Walk on the Wild Side
Our Wild Bird Walks continue this month on Thursday, July 11 at 8 a.m. at Westgate Nature Park with the experts from Wild Bird and Garden. Go on this casual walk and then impress your friends with your avian knowledge. See details below.
Arthritis Exercise Group on Summer Break
The Arthritis Exercise Group is on break for the summer and will return September 4.
Founders’ Day 2013
Mark your calendars now for what will be the best Founders’ Day ever! See below for more information.
Like us on Facebook
Upcoming Programs and Events:
Concerts on the Coast
* What: Back for another year, this free outdoor concert series will rock the park with some of the Southeast’s best beach and party bands playing in our backyard! Bring your lawn chairs, picnic baskets and dancin’ shoes. Just as a friendly reminder, alcohol is not permitted on Town property.
* Where: Leland Municipal Park (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Every other Thursday. Concerts start at 6:30 pm.
o July 11: The Imitations
* Fee: FREE!
Movies in the Park
* What: This year’s family movie series promises to be better than ever. Come watch a film under the stars in the Leland Municipal Park, just like in the good old days of drive in movies. Bring your blanket and lawn chairs. No pets please.
* Where: Leland Municipal Complex Park (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Every other Saturday. Movies start at sunset.
o July 13: Madagascar 3
* Fee: FREE! Concessions will be available for purchase.
Wild Bird Walks
* What: Join the experts from Wild Bird and Garden on a guided bird watching walk in one of the area’s best natural environments. This is a great opportunity to get out in nature and learn about the different species of birds in our area. All you need to bring is a water bottle, binoculars and bug spray!
* Where: Westgate Nature Park (1260 Westgate Drive). Meet in the parking lot.
* When: Thursday, June 13; 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
* Fee: FREE! For more information or to register, contact Amy Ryan with Leland Parks and Recreation at (910) 332-4823 or email@example.com.
Healthy Living Leland
* What: Our own health can easily escape our attention during the busy times in our lives. Being healthy, active and taking care of ourselves can help us enjoy a higher quality of life. Join us each month as we learn how to make nutritious and delicious meals and get active. Each month will have a different health-related topic and tons of great information, food and prizes.
* Where: Leland Classroom Annex (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: The second Tuesday of each month 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (July 9- Summer Suppers, August 13- Beat the Heat)
* Fee: FREE! To register call 910-332-4823 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is limited; call now to reserve your spot.
* What: Rev up your metabolism with a challenging full-body workout combining cardio bursts, athletic drills and strength training exercises using hand weights. All fitness levels are welcome no matter if you already have a core strength in place and are ready to take your fitness to the next level, or if you are a beginner who needs modifications. Please bring water, an exercise mat and a towel.
* Where: Leland Municipal Park and Recreation Building
* When: Monday and Wednesday Nights starting July 8.
* Fee: $95 for 8 weeks. That’s under $6 a class!!! Call (910) 332-4823 for more information or to register.
CPR Certification Class
* What: Leland Parks and Recreation is partnering with Leland Fire and Rescue to provide the public with CPR Certification Classes. This class will cover CPR training along with first aid.
* Where: Leland Fire and Rescue, 1004 Village Rd.
* When: July 31 (Class full), October 9 and December 11 from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
* Fee: $31.51. This includes the course book (must be pre-ordered) and certification card. To register call 910-332-4823. Class space is limited; call now to reserve your spot.
Founders’ Day 2013
* Where: Brunswick Forest Commercial Area (1090 Brunswick Village Blvd.)
* When: September 14, from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.
* Fee: Free! Food will be available for purchase.
You have received this message because you have indicated at some time that you are interested in Leland Parks and Recreation activities, programs and events. If you do not wish to receive future e-mails from Leland Parks and Recreation, please e-mail email@example.com to have your address removed from the list. Thank you for your interest in making Leland a better place to live and play!
Back to Newsletters