Leland Parks and Rec. September 2013 Newletter
9/11/2013 3:12:49 AM
Leland Parks and Recreation September 2013 UpdateHappy 24th Birthday Leland!!! Help us celebrate Leland’s birthday by coming to Founders’ Day or by enjoying our programs. If you are interested in participating in any event or program or simply would like more information, please contact Amy Ryan, Recreation Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org or 910-332-4823. Feel free to forward this message on to your friends and neighbors!
Get Out the Confetti
Come celebrate Leland’s birthday at Founders’ Day 2013! This year’s event will be better than ever with food, fun, entertainment and a fantastic fireworks show. See below for more details.
Catch a Fish, Win a Boat
The weekend of September 20-22, an exciting new event is coming to the Leland area. Brunswick Waterfest will feature a kayak fishing tournament, standup paddleboard races, kayak tours, birding activities, educational sessions, raffles and more. The top three finishers in the fishing tournament and top finisher in the paddleboard race all receive new kayaks/paddleboards, so sign up now. Visit www.brunswickwaterfest.com for more information on this awesome event. Make sure to also like the event on Facebook! Click here to like Brunswick Waterfest. See below for more.
Walk on the Wild Side
Our Wild Bird Walks continue this month on Thursday, September 12 at 8 a.m. at Brunswick Nature Park with the experts from Wild Bird and Garden. Go on this casual walk and then impress your friends with your avian knowledge. See details below.
Another Chance to Get in Shape
A new 8-week fitness program began this week. Spaces are still available so be sure to call and reserve your spot. See below for information.
Little Learners Returns Next Month
Leland’s Little Learners, our preschool reading program, will return for a new year October 1. Space is limited so call early to reserve your spot! See below for more details.
Like us on Facebook
Please visit our Facebook page and like Leland Parks and Recreation. Click here to be our friend.
Upcoming Programs and Events:Founders’ Day 2013
* What: Come celebrate Leland’s birthday with food, Jim Quick & Coastline Band, entertainment, children’s activities, vendors and fireworks!
* Where: Brunswick Forest Commercial Area (1090 Brunswick Village Blvd.)
* When: September 14, from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.
* Fee: All activities free! Food will be available for purchase.
* What: Presented by the Leland Tourism Development Authority, Brunswick Waterfest will feature a kayak fishing tournament, standup paddleboard races, kayak tours, birding activities, educational sessions and more.
* Where: Brunswick River Park (580 River Rd.)
* When: September 20-22
* Fee: Check out www.brunswickwaterfest.com for more information and to register.
Wild Bird Walks
* What: Join the experts from Wild Bird and Garden on a guided bird watching walk in one of the area’s best natural environments. This is a great opportunity to get out in nature and learn about the different species of birds in our area. All you need to bring is a water bottle, binoculars and bug spray!
* Where: Brunswick Nature Park (2601 River Road Southeast)
* When: Thursday, September 12; 8 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
* Fee: FREE! For more information or to register, call (910) 332-4823 or e-mail email@example.com.
* What: Rev up your metabolism with a challenging full-body workout combining cardio bursts, athletic drills and strength training exercises using hand weights. All fitness levels are welcome no matter if you already have a core strength in place and are ready to take your fitness to the next level, or if you are a beginner who needs modifications. Please bring water, an exercise mat and a towel.
* Where: Leland Municipal Park and Recreation Building
* When: Monday and Wednesday Nights (New 8 weeks starts Monday, September 9, but still taking registrations.)
* Fee: $95 for 8 weeks. That’s under $6 a class!!! Call (910) 332-4823 for more information or to register.
Leland’s Little Learners
* What: This free program for children ages 3-5 seeks to stimulate the minds of Leland's children through story time, arts and crafts and time outside on the playground! During the program, parents or guardians must remain with their children. Space is limited, so sign up early.
* Where: Leland’s Classroom Annex (102 Town Hall Dr.)
* When: Tuesday Mornings at 9 a.m. (Will return October 1st)
* Fee: Free! Call (910) 332-4823 to register.
CPR Certification Class
* What: Leland Parks and Recreation is partnering with Leland Fire and Rescue to provide the public with CPR Certification Classes. This class will cover CPR training along with first aid.
* Where: Leland Fire and Rescue, 1004 Village Rd.
* When: October 9 and December 11 from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
* Fee: $31.51. This includes the course book (must be pre-ordered) and certification card. To register call (910) 332-4823. Class space is limited; call now to reserve your spot.