Frequently Asked Questions

What types of concerns does the Code Enforcement Officer investigate?

Leland’s Code Enforcement Officer deals with concerns and code violations of land use and minimum housing regulations. Common code violations include junked vehicles, yard debris, deteriorated and dilapidated housing, and grass taller than twelve inches.

Who do I contact for noise complaints?

The Leland Police Department receives noise complaints. To report a complaint about excessive noise coming from a party, loud vehicle, etc. please dial 911.

How can I report a concern to the Code Enforcement Officer?

There are a couple of ways to report concerns. See-Click-Fix is a great place to start! You can download the app for free, and it is a great tool for citizens to voice their concerns about their surrounding community. You can also submit concerns on our website by using the submission form. You can also call or email the Code Enforcement Officer directly with concerns.

Who do I contact about cars parked in the street?

The Leland Police Department handles parking issues such as these. You can reach them by dialing 911.

Do I need a permit to demolish a building and if so, how much does it cost?

Yes! You do need a demolition permit to demolish a structure. You can find the application on our website, and there is no fee for the permit.

What are the rules about placing signs out in public areas?

The Town of Leland does not allow signs of any type in the Town maintained rights-of-way. Any signs placed in these areas are subject to removal.

I am opening a new business. What permits do I need?

At minimum, you will need to submit a change of use application, along with a sign permit application for any signage you may be installing. Renovations and construction require additional permits and review.

Can I have chickens on my property?

Yes. Residents are allowed to keep chickens, but livestock (like pets in general) must be on your property and not allowed to run at large.

General animal control concerns are handled by the Leland Police Department. They can be reached by dialing 911.

I am renting my home, and my landlord is refusing to make necessary repairs. Are they required to do this?

Yes, if the repair is necessary to bring the structure into compliance with the Town’s minimum housing ordinance. More on minimum housing can be found here: Minimum Housing Regulations.

What exactly is a junked vehicle, and how many am I allowed to have?

Town ordinance defines a junked vehicle as a vehicle that is partially dismantled or wrecked, cannot be self-propelled or moved in the manner in which it originally was intended to move, or is more than five years old and appears to be worth less than $100.00. One junked vehicle is allowed per property. The vehicle must be located in the rear yard and concealed by an acceptable covering (tarp, car cover, etc.).