Community Resources

Burn Permits

Open burning is permitted; however it is not recommended. Your potential liability regarding open burning can be expensive. Burn permits are required and must be obtained prior to starting any open burning.

Get a Burn Permit Online

State Laws

Leland Fire/Rescue issues NC Forestry Open Burning Permits for the entire north end of Brunswick County. This includes the Northwest and Navassa Fire Districts. You can get a burn permit FREE OF CHARGE at the fire station located at 1004 Village Road anytime between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Permits can also be obtained at Youngs Exxon on Hwy 17 in the Town Creek Community and online at at the NCDFR web site by clicking here. The permits are good for four (4) days and are necessary to do certain open burning within the county. The permits are good throughout the Brunswick County.

Permits are good for burning natural vegetation only. It is up to the permit holder to make sure that they are in compliance with all State, County and Local open burning laws. The Fire Department assumes no liability in what you are burning. Several brochures are available below to assist you in making sure that your open burning is in compliance. Please read them. If you have any questions you can contact the Fire Department at (910) 371-2727 during normal business hours. If you have Microsoft PowerPoint there is a small presentation about open burning in the State of North Carolina. 


Child Safety Seats

Leland Fire/Rescue is happy to participate in the “Safe Kids: Child Safety Seat Program”. We are now an official Child Passenger Seat (CPS) inspection station, servicing appointments seven (7) days per week from 9 am until 9 pm with an appointment. Our trained inspectors can assist the you with:

  • Using the correct child safety seat for the age/size of the child
  • Installing the seat correctly
  • Placing the child in the seat correctly
  • Obtaining experience that will lead to self-sufficiency for future use

Please contact the department for an appointment at (910) 371-2727.