Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Leland’s Code Enforcement Officer deals with concerns and code violations of land use and minimum housing regulations. Common code violations include junked vehicles, yard debris, deteriorated and dilapidated housing, and grass taller than twelve inches.

The Leland Police Department receives noise complaints. To report a complaint about excessive noise coming from a party, loud vehicle, etc. please dial 911.

There are a couple of ways to report concerns.

The Leland Police Department handles parking issues such as these. You can reach them by dialing 911.

Yes! You do need a demolition permit to demolish a structure. You can apply for a permit and view the fee schedule through our online portal

The Town of Leland does not allow signs of any type in the Town maintained rights-of-way. Any signs placed in these areas are subject to removal.

At minimum, you will need to submit a change of occupancy permit, along with a sign permit application for any signage you may be installing. Renovations and construction require additional permits and review.

Yes. Residents are allowed to keep chickens, but livestock (like pets in general) must be on your property and not allowed to run at large.

General animal control concerns are handled by the Leland Police Department. They can be reached by dialing 911.

Yes, if the repair is necessary to bring the structure into compliance with the Town’s minimum housing ordinance.

Minimum Housing Regulations

NC Legal Housing Page

Town ordinance defines a junked vehicle as a vehicle that is partially dismantled or wrecked, cannot be self-propelled or moved in the manner in which it originally was intended to move, or is more than five years old and appears to be worth less than $100.00. One junked vehicle is allowed per property. The vehicle must be located in the rear yard and concealed by an acceptable covering (tarp, car cover, etc.).

NC General Statute allows for political signs to be placed in the right-of-way of the State highway system for the period of 30 days before the beginning date of "one-stop" early voting and ending on the 10th day after the primary or election day. Any political sign remaining in the right-of-way more than 30 days after the end of the period shall be deemed illegally placed and removed.

It is a Class 3 misdemeanor for a person
to steal, deface, vandalize, or unlawfully remove a political sign that is lawfully placed under this section.