Our Core Values
At the Town of Leland, our core values guide everything we do. As depicted in our servant leadership tree, servant leadership is the centerpiece of our culture, with core values of respect, communication, engagement, supportive work environment, and service excellence.
Our core values are not just a slogan or a catchphrase; they are the way we collaborate, work, and treat one another. We base these on a commitment to Integrity, professionalism, trust, and accountability. Learn more about our core values and what they mean.
Shared Organizational Statement
Town of Leland employees are here to serve each other and our community. We are a talented collection of individuals who feel value from our contributions, and find worth, enjoyment, and fulfillment each day as we are inspired to be a part of something bigger than ourselves. Here our efforts have meaning. United, we set high expectations and hold ourselves and one another accountable. We promote innovation, embody servant leadership, and take a forward-thinking approach to challenge each other to reach our highest potential. We are highly motivated and courageous. We embrace change and encourage open, honest, and frequent communication to achieve our goals. Though a growing organization with the desire to consistently push boundaries, our foundation is rooted in professionalism, trust, integrity, and accountability. We are also supportive, genuine, compassionate, and prudent. We have an endless commitment to improve our community for existing and future generations. With a strategic mindset, we are making Leland a more desirable place to connect, find opportunity, enjoy life, and thrive. Every action by each of us is important in our success. It takes all of us. We do this together as one.
The Town of Leland works to be fiscally responsible and to provide competitive overall compensation throughout our pay system. As such, we undertake ongoing compensation reviews against benchmark data in our region and throughout the state. We seek to manage our fiscal policy to provide for annual merit and cost of living increases, as well as an annual bonus program. These policies are reviewed annually and are subject to annual Council approval. Details concerning our current fiscal year annual merit and cost of living plan are available upon request.
The Town of Leland offers a generous program of employee benefits including the following:
- A choice of comprehensive medical benefit programs offered through the state health plan.
- Town-provided dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability.
- Employee paid additional voluntary life insurance.
- Medical and dependent Flexible Spending Accounts.
- North Carolina Local Government Employee Retirement System (LGERS). The LGERS plan provides a defined benefit retirement plan, more commonly referred to as a pension, for all vested employees upon their attainment of their retirement age.
- State 401(k) and 457 plans. The Town, at the annual discretion of Council, makes an additional annual defined contribution to each employee’s 401(k) retirement plan. For fiscal year 2022-2023, the defined contribution to the employee 401(k) plan is 5% of the employee’s pay. There is no requirement of contribution by the employee.
The Town annually funds, at the annual discretion of Council, a Health Reimbursement Arrangement for employees, which can be used to offset any eligible, uninsured medical expenses including deductibles and co-pays. For fiscal year 2022-2023, this account is funded in the amount of $1,500.
For details of these programs, please consult the benefits overview.
The Town of Leland believes that all employees need time away from work to rest, recharge, and recover so they can bring their best to both their personal life and their work. All regular full-time employees are eligible to earn paid vacation and sick time, and to be granted Paid Time Off (PTO). Depending upon the schedule the employee works, their accrual rate will vary.
We do accept accrued unused sick time from other municipalities for employees joining Leland from other jurisdictions.
The following days and such other days as the Town Council may designate are holidays with pay:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veteran's Day
- Thanksgiving Day and the day after
- Christmas - Three workdays
We love to recognize Town of Leland employees doing their best, serving our citizens, and collaborating! We do that through the following channels:
- Peer to Peer Recognition: In our internal Human Resources Information System, Paylocity, employees and management have the opportunity to recognize one another for support, assistance, or great work
- Core Values Recognition: All employees and supervisors of the Town of Leland are encouraged to recognize one another for the embodiment of the Town’s core values. To do this, the Town has created Core Value Coins which can be used to recognize an employee who has exhibited these values in an outstanding manner. All employees are encouraged to collect these items and to display them, if possible. We are also planning celebrations for those who attain recognition in all core areas.
- Leland Bucks: The Town of Leland offers supervisors the opportunity to award Leland Bucks to their employees to recognize extra effort, special actions, or notable consistency. Leland Buck awards have a value that can be used to purchase Leland swag.
- Appreciation: At the Town of Leland, we know that our team members are the key to supporting our work and our community. As such, we celebrate our employees several times a year at Employee Appreciation events. These events range from an annual community Thanksgiving meal to an Independence Day picnic to March Madness.
- Service: We recognize and reward employees for their work and commitment to the Town. Included in our annual bonus is a longevity component, and we recognize employees at their 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15 year anniversaries.