Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

In the event of an emergency, dial 911 immediately so that emergency personnel can assist you in a timely manner. Once contact is made, you will be required to provide a brief explanation of the nature of the emergency, along with general contact information for dispatch and record-keeping purposes. It is always a good idea to be as descriptive as possible so the appropriate resources can be allocated to your emergency.

The 911 Center, known as Central Communications or CCOM in Brunswick County, is the central dispatch center of the Leland Police Department. CCOM is staffed 24/7 and must be contacted for Leland Police Officers to be dispatched.

If you have a non-emergency call for service, it is still necessary to dial 911 so trained dispatchers can determine the priority level of response. 

Remember: When in doubt, call 911. Do not hesitate. Time lost before calling 911 can cost lives or jeopardize important investigations. 

We welcome questions about non-emergency matters and/or general questions and concerns at (910) 371-1100. Please keep in mind that this number is not monitored 24/7.

If you are the victim of an offense in Leland in which a report is taken, you may contact the Leland Police Department Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to obtain a copy of the report. You must allow 7-10 business days for the reports to be processed and available.

If you are the parent or guardian of a juvenile involved in an incident, you may obtain a copy of that incident report.

Like incident reports, accident (or collision) reports require 7-10 days to process and be available to the individuals involved.

Please allow 10 business days for collision reports to be completed. Collision reports will be available through Crash Docs.

The Leland Police Department is always grateful for the interest citizens have in volunteering.

We currently do not have any volunteer opportunities at this point in time. 

Individuals interested in applying for a position with the Leland Police Department must complete an online application. Learn more about careers with the Leland Police Department and view all current job openings.

Under North Carolina law, a “golf cart” is defined as “a vehicle designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 miles per hour”.

A “low speed vehicle” is defined as “a four-wheeled electric vehicle whose top speed is greater than 20 miles per hour but less than 25 miles per hour”.

Golf carts are not allowed on the public streets or highways within the Town of Leland. Low speed vehicles are allowed on the public streets and highways within the Town of Leland with certain restrictions.

Pursuant to North Carolina General Statute § 20-121.1, these restrictions are as follows: (1) A low-speed vehicle may be operated only on streets and highways where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. This does not prohibit a low-speed vehicle from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street being crossed has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour. (2) A low-speed vehicle must be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, windshield wipers, speedometer, seat belts, and a vehicle identification number. Any such required equipment shall be maintained in proper working order. (3) A low-speed vehicle must be registered and insured in accordance with N.C.G.S. § 20-50 and N.C.G.S. § 20-309 (much like a regular vehicle). (4) The Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of low-speed vehicles on any road or highway if it determines that the prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety. (5) Low-speed vehicles must comply with the safety standards in 49 C.F.R. § 571.500.

While manufacturers make low speed vehicles that meet these requirements when they are built, some otherwise traditional “golf carts” have been modified to meet these restrictions so that they become “street legal”, a phrase commonly used to describe these types of modified golf carts. If your cart does not meet the above criteria, it is not allowed to be operated on public streets and highways within the Town’s corporate limits. As a municipality, the Town has the authority to regulate the public streets within its limits. Accordingly, the Brunswick County golf cart ordinances do not apply to the public streets and highways within the Town.

Are commercial vehicle dump trucks allowed to drive on the highway with no tag?

These specific vehicles have tags that are affixed to the front instead of the rear due to the loading and unloading of materials that could cause damage to the tag. If you do not see one on the rear, please check the front. 

Are construction traffic heavy vehicles allowed to be unregistered while operation on Town roads?

Yes, per NC General Statute 20-51, which states:

NCGS 20-51(3) - "Any implement of husbandry, farm tractor, road construction or maintenance machinery or other vehicle which is not self-propelled that was designed for use in work off the highway and which is operated on the highway for the purpose of going to and from such nonhighway projects."
NCGS 20-51 (5) - "Farm tractors equipped with rubber tires and trailers or semitrailers when attached thereto and when used by a farmer, his tenant, agent, or employee in transporting his own farm implements, farm supplies, or farm products from place to place on the same farm, from one farm to another, from farm to market, or from market to farm. This exemption shall extend also to any tractor, implement of husbandry, and trailer or semitrailer while on any trip within a radius of 10 miles from the point of loading, provided that the vehicle does not exceed a speed of 35 miles per hour. This section shall not be construed as granting any exemption to farm tractors, implements of husbandry, and trailers or semitrailers which are operated on a for-hire basis, whether money or some other thing of value is paid or given for the use of such tractors, implements of husbandry, and trailers or semitrailers."